Knox Bldg, 110 West Federal Youngstown, dedicated to SPACE: •sales •production •culture •athletics •culture •entertainment in accordance with Lemon Grove LLC’s mission since 2006 to serve the “Cultural and Economic Vitality of the Mahoning.” Its history dates back to the birth of Youngstown, and its future and importance to the region is key.
After the original 1800s structure was destroyed by fire, pioneer developers Wick, Salow, and Wells rebuilt their property at 110 West Federal in 1909, a steel and brick 5 floor behemoth.
S.H. Knox & Co. Five and Dime had been the primary tenant at the location on Youngstown’s main drag since at least 1892.
A cousin of F.W. & Sum Woolworth, S.H. Knox joined them in business at Reading, PA in 1884 opening their first store together. The partnership thrived, opening locations in Newark, Erie, and Buffalo. In 1890 Knox established headquarters in Buffalo and proceeded to trailblaze his own urban retail chain before merging with the Woolworths to form one publicly traded company in 1912.
In addition to the name change at 110 West Federal and across the nation, this led to construction of the Woolworth Building in NYC, one of the first skyscrapers and the world’s tallest until 1930. Knox remained integral in the Woolworth empire, serving as Vice President until his death in 1915.
Knox’s son “Shorty” was “the Dean of American art patrons” as stated in his 1990 New York Times obituary. In addition to directing several corporations, including Woolworth, Seymour H. Knox II was the first chairman of the New York State Council on the Arts. Andy Warhol immortalized him in portrait in 1985.
In 2012, Lemon Grove moved its operations from two doors down the street with the mission to fully renovate the structure as an international arts and cultural destination true to its city, Youngstown, OH.
Contact us here.